Planning ahead gives us the opportunity to prepare for future events of importance to us and those we love. It also makes sense to plan for that which is inevitable.
The process of making plans for your own funeral – or that of a loved one – well in advance of need is called Preplanning. Funeral preplanning includes writing out and setting up a permanent record of your wishes. The written expression of your thinking as to the type of service, burial location and other details are very important, along with your written record of vital statistics. Many people also choose to pay for their funeral in advance. To Prefund is an option that more people are choosing because it allows you to consider cost-effective options at a time when you are better prepared to make sound, fiscally responsible decisions.
Prearrangement means that you have taken the opportunity to both preplan and prefund. Our funeral directors are more than qualified to meet with you regarding pre-arrangements.
We encourage people at any age to become acquainted with the costs and all the decisions that need to be made when a loved one encounters the inevitable. Having to discuss arrangements at the time of need is probably one of the hardest financial decisions that we will face in our lifetime. Any one of the staff at our funeral home would be glad to meet with you to discuss how best to carry out your wishes.
We have composed a checklist which you may wish to use. Since each person is unique, some of the items listed may apply to prearrangement in your life and some you may wish to ignore.
Why choose Boulger Funeral Home?
Boulger Funeral Home, Fredrikson Funeral Chapel, and Wildeman Funeral Home have formed an association which brings over a century of service to all the families that we serve. Our staff has the experience to help answer your questions and provide you with information that is needed to make the decisions that are best for you and your family. Our goal is to honor your wishes in a professional and affordable manner. It makes sense to select a funeral home with which you have confidence and trust. We believe you deserve nothing less.
What takes place in a prearrangement interview?
First of all, there is no cost for our assistance and guidance to help you put your information on file. Any of our qualified funeral directors would be happy to answer any funeral preplanning questions and provide the information you need in order to make decisions that fit your unique situation and wishes. Areas covered include:
- The value of having information on file
- Review of service and product options
- A cost estimate
- An explanation of prefunding options
- Making a list of wishes and instructions
Why pay in advance?
Prefunding provides peace of mind, assures you of adequate coverage for future prices, and simplifies things for your loved ones at the time of your death. In addition, when transitions or changes in one’s life occur, it is important that the timing of making a funeral plan take place in advance so that a person may be eligible for government benefits such as Medicaid/Supplemental Security Income.
What laws apply?
Boulger Funeral Home is a locally owned family funeral home and complies with all state and national regulations. By maintaining current status with the Select Independent Funeral Homes and the National Funeral Directors Association, you can be assured of quality service in accord with all laws and regulations.
In order to offer prefunding, a funeral home must have a “Certificate of Authority” which is issued by the North Dakota/Minnesota Divisions of Insurance. In order to obtain this certificate we are required to utilize a licensed independent trustee or an insurance company which is in good standing with the state. We file annual reports and submit to occasional random audits. The two types of investments for these funds are either:
- A preapproved insurance product that specializes in guaranteed funeral or cremation funding, or
- A trust fund managed by a preapproved and licensed trust management company.
We hold a Certificate of Authority, operate in accordance with all laws and regulations, and offer both options.
- Prefunded arrangements are exempt from Medicaid/SSI asset qualification (provided they meet the state guidelines).
- All insurance plans are transferable anywhere you may move.
Why should I prearrange?
- Peace of mind knowing that the expenses for your funeral are handled.
- Easier for surviving family members to deal with the details of the funeral, including the financial burden if you choose to set aside funds.
- To make your wishes known to your family members.
- To have your funeral reflect your choices and lifestyle.
- You have no surviving family.
- If you set aside funds in a timely manner they can be excluded from Medical Assistance limits.
- To take care of funeral expenses when faced with diminishing resources.
If you would like more information about Prearranging your funeral and would like to receive a FREE Planning Guide, simply contact the funeral home.
Plans we offer include: